We all know that the inbuilt microphone of our personal computer or Mac isn’t capable enough to record something professional. And hence the question of which one is the best computer microphone available in the market for your use stands. And your choice depends on your budget, microphone type you prefer and the intended use of the same.
So what are the basic factors you consider while choosing the best microphone for your computer:
Your Budget – Your budget plays an important factor while choosing a particular microphone for your computer. It’s a deciding factor as some of you consider as an investment while some consider it as an expense.
Microphone Type – There are different types of microphones available in the market for your computer. The choice is completely yours about which one suits you; the Bluetooth one, the USB cable one or some other kind. The most common type you’ll find in the market is the microphone which connects using USB 3.5 mm standard.
Connecting to Personal Computer or Mac – Some microphones just fits for one particular Operating System but you would find several that connects to both using a USB port as any computer device would have it. And other types of mics ate also pretty versatile when it comes to operating systems. So the choice completely depends on your personal opinion.
Your Intended Use – What is your plan on using the microphone you buy now?
Your choice depends on what you are going to use your microphone for.
Bottom line is that your choice actually depends on your intended use and budget. Generally, everyone needs a quality microphone and the quality of any microphone usually increases with the price of it. When you wish to create something extraordinary with high-quality audios, you would need to have a perfect high-quality audio microphone for the same.
In this blog, we will let take a look at the best microphones that would fit best for your computer and you just need to know which kind of computer microphones are available and what to consider when it comes to choosing one such device:
Best Computer Microphone ( For PC & Mac ) in 2019
Yeti is the most advanced and versatile multi-pattern USB microphone available in the market. Combining three capsules and four different pattern settings, Yeti is the ultimate tool for creating amazing recordings, directly on your computer. Not only is the sound quality excellent but it has features that would give quality audio if you use it for podcasting, Skype calls, gaming, voiceovers, YouTube videos, Hangouts or any other purpose.
You can switch it between 4 modes so you can use it for solo speaking i.e. cardioid mode, conference calls i.e. omnidirectional mode, in-person interviews i.e. bidirectional mode, music recording i.e. stereo mode. You can plug in a pair of headphones and adjust the volume, change how sensitive the mic is by gaining control over it.
Additionally, it comes with a nice sturdy base that allows the mic to be adjusted to the correct position on your computer. The main features of this microphone are:
- Tri-capsule array i.e. 3 condenser capsules can record almost in any situation.
- Multiple pattern selection i.e. cardioid, bidirectional, omnidirectional & stereo.
- Gain control, mute button, zero-latency headphone output.
- Compatible with Windows 10, Windows 8 (including 8.1), Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP (Home and Professional), and Mac OS X (10.4.11 or higher).
- Requires a minimum of 64 MB of RAM.
- Frequency recording of 20 Hz to 20 kHz.
- Bit rate is 16 bit.
The Blue Snowball is a quality budget microphone for any computer. You can choose between cardioid and omnidirectional, pickup patterns for your voiceover and the metal stand is adjustable to different heights aa you desire. Blue offers 6 different colours of the Snowball so that you can get the exact look that would match your setup and will look amazing on your desktop.
If you are looking for a plug and play mic that is made by a reputable company, sounds great for recording and is easy to use for a minimum budget this one is best. The main features of this microphone are:
- Custom condenser capsule that offers crystal clear audio for Skype, Messages and FaceTime.
- Record vocals, create podcasts and add narration to your home movies.
- Add crystal clear audio to recordings for YouTube.
- Frequency Response: 40 –18 kHz.
- Easy plug and play directly to your Mac or PC as there are no drivers to install.
- Snowball iCE is a USB 2.0 device.
This is the only Apple MFi Certified microphone in this list which you can connect directly to your iOS devices without a separate adaptor. This is a good computer microphone as it includes both a USB cable and a Lightning cable which is compatible with any company device.
It has a headphone jack for monitoring your recording, a 3 pre-set DSP modes and is small enough to carry with you anywhere. You can remove it from its stand and use it laying on a desk or table, making it even more portable for use. The main features of this microphone are:
- 3 DSP Preset Modes (Vocals, Flat and Instrument).
- Automatically applies gain, EQ, compression and limiting for optimal results.
- Built-in headphone output for real-time monitoring.
- Custom-tuned microphone capsule provides you with best-in-class audio.
- Low-profile, portable design measures only 2.5 inches i.e. 7 cm tall (5.5 inches i.e. 14 cm on included stand).
Samson Meteor Mic
The Samson Meteor Mic offers a great value for the price and is a great complement to any PC or Mac. You get a flat frequency response from 20Hz to 20kHz, 16-bit 44.1/48 kHz resolution and a headphone monitoring jack. It comes with a USB cable and a carrying case. The main features of this microphone are:
- Large 25mm diaphragm USB studio condenser microphone.
- Works with iPad using Apple’s Lightning USB Camera Adapter or Camera Connection Kit that comes with 30-pin.
- 16-bit, 44.1/48 kHz resolution.
- The smooth, flat frequency response of 20 Hz– 20 kHz.
- Stereo 1/8 inch headphone jack for no latency monitoring.
Samson Go Mic
Samson Go Mic Compact USB Microphone is a versatile computer-based mimicking and recording solution. Due to its custom compact design, the Go Mic is able to clip directly onto your laptop or sit unobtrusively on your desk. Plug and play operation of Samson Go mic means that it’s completely compatible with a Mac or PC, with no extra drivers required. The Go Mic is perfect for recording music, podcasts or field recording as its range of functionality extends beyond typical USB microphones. The Go Mic is also ideal for voice recognition software, iChat, webcasting and even Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP).
The Samson Go Mic is one of the best computer mics for travel and portability. It even has a headphone jack for live monitoring with a frequency response from 20 Hz to 18 kHz and comes with a carrying case. This is a great all-around mic that will perform well recording YouTube videos or chatting over Skype. The main features of this microphone are:
- Portable USB condenser microphone.
- Plug and Play Mac and PC compatible, no drivers required.
- Custom compact design that clips to a laptop or sits on a desk.
- Perfect for recording music, podcasting and field recording.
- Ideal for voice recognition software, iChat, VoIP and webcasting.
- Switchable cardioid or omnidirectional pickup patterns.
- 16-bit, 44.1 kHz resolution.
- The smooth and flat frequency response of 20 Hz– 18 kHz.
- Stereo 1/8 inch headphone output for no latency monitoring.
- Includes USB cable, cable clip and carry case.
By its outward appearances, the CAD U37 is a mic that actually looks like real studio microphone. The U37 USB Studio Condenser Microphone brings studio-quality audio to your social media, gaming or home studio sessions. As a result of CAD’s more than 80 years of professional audio expertise, the creative control and limitless innovation await your beck and call. Explore the CAD USB series of products to unlock your creative edge and experience expression thru innovation.
The CAD U37 provides studio-quality results recorded directly to your computer with its extended frequency response, transient response and smooth interpretation; also making it excellent as singing, speech and recording instrument. The main features of this microphone are:
- Large condenser microphone element for warm and rich recordings.
- Cardioid pick-up pattern that minimizes background noise and isolates the main sound source.
- Smooth, extended frequency response is excellent for singing, speech and instruments.
- It has 10dB overload-protection switch that helps minimizes distortion from loud sound sources.
- Bass-reduction switch reduces room noise.
- The CAD U37 is Windows and Mac compatible.
The AT2020 is a classic vocal mic that performs well above its price point. It has a headphone jack so you can listen to yourself while speaking and also a mix control dial that lets you blend audio from your computer with whatever your microphone is hearing (like your voice). It comes with a USB cable, tripod stand, carrying pouch and a threaded mount for attaching to other desktop stands or arms.
The microphone offers the critically acclaimed, award-winning sound of the AT2020, with studio-quality articulation and intelligibility perfect for singer or songwriters, podcasters, voice-over artists, field recorders and home studio recorders. The AT2020USB+ features a built-in headphone jack with volume control that allows you to directly monitor your microphone signal with no delay. It also offers mix control that blends microphone and pre-recorded audio. The main features of this microphone are:
- Condenser microphone with USB output for digital recording.
- High-quality A/D converter with 16 bit.
- 44.1/ 48 kHz sampling rate for superb audio.
- Headphone jack with volume control that allows you to monitor the microphone signal with no delay.
- Mix control allows you to blend your microphone signal and pre-recorded audio.
- High-output internal headphone amplifier delivers superior clarity and musical detail as well as more volume overall.
Audio- Technical ATR2100- USB
The ATR2100-USB is a very famous and familiar well-designed microphone which is designed to take you from the stage to the studio and beyond. This rugged handheld microphone offers two outputs; one USB output for the digital recording and two an XLR output that connects with a sound system’s conventional microphone input for use in live performance.
The microphone plugs right into your computer’s USB port and functions seamlessly with your favourite recording software. The ATR2100-USB also offers a quality analogue-to-digital converter for excellent fidelity and in addition a headphone output with level control for monitoring. Its cardioid polar pattern reduces pickup of unwanted sounds from the sides and rear. The microphone is ideal for live performance, podcasting, home studio recording, field recording, and voiceover use. The main features of this microphone are:
- Handheld dynamic microphone with USB digital output and XLR analogue output.
- USB output connects to your computer for digital recording, while the XLR output connects with your sound system’s conventional microphone input for use in live performance.
- Smooth and extended frequency responses ideally suited for podcasting, home studio recording, field recording, voiceover, and on-stage use.
- Built-in headphone jack allows you to directly monitor from your microphone.
- High-quality AD convertor with 16 Bit.
- 44.1/48 kHz sampling rate.
The choice really does depend on what kind of audio setup you are interested in. So choose wisely as per your requirements and most importantly as per your budget.
Hope the blog helps you to choose better. If you have any recommendations, suggestions and comments please do comment below.